Riverside High School
Chris Howell Named New Head Football Coach
Mathematics and Exceptional Children's teacher Chris Howell was named the new Pirate head coach in football by Principal Joel County at a news conference Friday, March 27.
Chorus to Premier Song Palm Sunday
Riverside's Siren Chorus is helping to debut a song, "St. Luke's Passion," by James MacMillan, at Duke Chapel on Palm Sunday.
Bryan Christopher Named Teacher of the Year
English teacher Bryan Christopher received Riverside's top honor, named teacher of the year by his peers in March. Christopher goes on to compete for district Teacher of the Year.
Science Olympiad Team Competes in Tournament
Budding Pirate scientists competed in the Science Olympiad, and several placed in the top levels. Read more: "It Really Was Rocket Science"
'Transcending Borders' Brings Murals to Hallways
The Transcending Borders project brought students together to discuss their stories and their dreams, then turned that into art.
Snow Make-Up Days Set; Spring Break Saved (so far)
Update March 28: Two days have been added to the end of the school year to make up the last days lost to snow. This leaves spring break intact.
Durham schools have missed five days due to snow this winter. One day has been already made up for; a second make-up day will be held March 28.
The DPS School Board announced March 4 that the remaining three days would be waived. This is allowed under state law because Durham students will have been in school for more than the required minimum number of hours.
McNeill Wins Morehead Scholarship
Cameron McNeill may be named for Duke's basketball arena, but he will soon be residing near the Dean Dome in Chapel Hill after being named a Morehead Scholar.
AP Test Schedule Published; Payment Deadline Extended to April 2
Students taking AP classes are expected to take AP Exams. The AP Exams for first and second semesters will be administered May 5-16, 2014. Several test dates have been delayed due to snow day cancellations. Please see a revised schedule here. The cost is $89.00 per exam. Students may pay online here or in Student Services (make check payable to Riverside High School). Students who need financial assistance should see Ms. Jeffreys in Student Services. The new deadline for payment is April 2, 2014.
ACT Testing Rescheduled for April 1
Perhaps you've heard . . . once again, all juniors will take the ACT on April 1, following yet another weather postponement.
Class Registration 2014-2015
Parents, Students Gain On-Line Access to Grades
Snow is Gone; Grades are Here
- Fall Report Cards distributed Feb. 17
- Progress Reports distributed Feb. 18
Caps & Gowns - Graduation is Coming
Registration for 2014-2015 School Year Set to Begin
Email Glitch Blocks Some Riverside Staff
Snow Make-up Days Scheduled
News From Durham Public Schools
- Open House set for Feb. 20, 6-7:30pm. Read more.
- ACT Prep Classes - Tuesdays and Thursdays, after school, in February. Juniors may sign up at the front desk. All juniors will take the ACT on Tuesday, Mar. 4. Read more.
- Report Cards Due Mid-Week - due to the timing of state exam grades, report cards have not yet been distributed. Principal County expects the reports to go home mid-week (week of Feb. 10). Read more.
- Connect With Kids - New website features health and well-being videos for families. Read more.
PTSA Announces Two Special Projects
- Student Art Contest: 'Believe, Dream, Inspire' - read more
- Teacher of the Month - first nominations due Nov. 1 - read more
Grades, Attendance Info Now One Click Away
Starting Monday, Oct. 7, parents may obtain a user ID and password to view student grades and attendance data on-line. Information must be picked up in person from the school Front Desk. Read more here.
- May 10, 2014, 8pm - 12 midnight (Saturday) - Prom
- June 11, 2014 - 1pm - Graduation
Student Handbook Available Now